The other day I got some pretty shocking and sad news. It has persisted to bother me for few days. I was talking, talking, talking talking, talking to Jeff about how it made me feel and all the while trying to analyze the situation.Jeff being the ever so patient and man of not so many words. He listens and lets me go on and on and on. Once I am finished, he simply says " you know He would never give us anything we couldn't handle. I guess that means God loves you a lot" His sincere, honest and simple (and kind of humorous) answer instantly brought a smile to my face and the reality of it brightened my day. I wasn't thinking of the situation as God does, but as I would. But of course Jeff's outlook on everything always keeps my analytical mind from wandering. One of the many reasons I love Jeff so much!
One of my favorite authors Linda Dillow wrote an amazing book about contentment (Calm My Anxious Heart, I highly recommend it!) There are several things that I attempted to apply to my life from her writing. However, the one that strikes me most often is perspective. She talks about an imprisoned woman looking out of her cell, does she see the mud or the stars? I pray that I will always look for "the stars" in situations rather than "the mud" whatever that might look like. When looking for "the stars" or on the bright side, it means one very difficult thing, no control!
Dillow describes contentment as “accepting God’s sovereign control over all of life’s circumstances.” She shares a quote from J.I. Packer that says, “Contentment is essentially a matter of accepting from God’s hand what He sends because we know that He is good and therefore it is good.”
One of my favorite authors Linda Dillow wrote an amazing book about contentment (Calm My Anxious Heart, I highly recommend it!) There are several things that I attempted to apply to my life from her writing. However, the one that strikes me most often is perspective. She talks about an imprisoned woman looking out of her cell, does she see the mud or the stars? I pray that I will always look for "the stars" in situations rather than "the mud" whatever that might look like. When looking for "the stars" or on the bright side, it means one very difficult thing, no control!
Dillow describes contentment as “accepting God’s sovereign control over all of life’s circumstances.” She shares a quote from J.I. Packer that says, “Contentment is essentially a matter of accepting from God’s hand what He sends because we know that He is good and therefore it is good.”
“Never allow yourself to complain about anything–not even the weather.
Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
Never compare your lot with another’s.
Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
Never compare your lot with another’s.
Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
Never dwell on tomorrow–remember that [tomorrow] is God’s, not ours.”
(p.13 of Calm My Anxious Heart)



No comments:
Post a Comment